Most non-U.S. citizens must report a change of address within 10 days of moving within the United States or its territories. Exceptions include:

  • Diplomats (visa status A),
  • Official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days.

How Do I Report My Change of Address?

If you are not a U.S. citizen, and do not belong to one of the three excepted groups listed above, please refer to the following table:

If you Then you must
Have no pending cases;

If you use our Online Change of Address, you do NOT need to file a paper Form AR-11.

Have any pending OR recently approved applications or petitions (except for VAWA, T or U visa); you need to complete two steps


  • Step 2: Change your address on any pending or recently approved applications or petitions (online OR by phone at 1-800-375-5283)

Use our convenient Online Change of Address system to complete steps 1 and 2 at the same time. Once you complete Form AR-11 online – the system will also provide you the opportunity to change your address on any pending or recently approved applications. If you use our Online Change of Address to complete Form AR-11, you do NOT need to file a paper Form AR-11.

Have a pending or approved VAWA I-360, T nonimmigrant I-914 (“T visa”), or U nonimmigrant I-918 (“U visa”), AND you have also filed an I-485, I-765, I-601, I-192, I-131, or I-929 File your change of address request at:

USCIS Vermont Service Center 75 Lower Welden Street St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

You may NOT change your address online.

Completing the process online:

  • You can change your address online and update your address on any pending or recently approved applications and petitions at the same time using our Online Change of Address system.
  • The Online Change of Address system will first prompt you to complete Form AR-11.
  • Once you complete Form AR-11, the system will prompt you to complete the second step and update your address on any pending or recently approved applications and petitions.
  • If you have outstanding or recently approved applications or petitions and do not complete this second step, you will still need to update your address on pending or recently approved applications or petitions by calling 1-800-375-5283 or by returning to the online system at a later time.
  • Aliens subject to Special Registration must file Form AR-11SR.  This form can only be mailed and cannot be filed online. F nonimmigrants (international students), M nonimmigrants (vocational students), J nonimmigrants (exchange visitors), must notify their Designated School Official (DSO) or Responsible Officer (RO) of a change of address and are not required to submit Form AR-11.

If you mail a paper Form AR-11:

  • We strongly recommend using certified, registered or return receipt mail. This will give you documentation that you did mail the form to USCIS, in case there should ever be a question.
  • You must still update your address on any pending or recently approved applications by calling 1-800-375-5283.

What Should I Include?

For the Form AR-11: Complete the information requested on the form, including present address, last address (most recent only), alien or registration number, country of citizenship, date of birth, and your signature.

You do not need to include temporary addresses as long as you maintain your present address as your permanent residence and continue to receive mail there.

When sending us a change of address, you do not need to include numerous last addresses; only the most recent last address is needed.

Be sure to also indicate in the appropriate block on the AR-11 your current employment and school, where applicable.

U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens are not required to file a Form AR-11 and can make a change of address on pending cases via our Online Change of Address page or by calling 1-800-375-5283. U.S. Citizens who do not have an application or petition pending with USCIS are only legally required to notify USCIS of a change of address if they have previously submitted a Form I-864 on behalf of someone who has become a permanent resident. If you have previously submitted a Form I-864 for someone who immigrated to the U.S., you must complete a Form I-865 within thirty days of the completion of your move.

Civil Surgeons

USCIS-designated civil surgeons are not required to file a Form AR-11 and should go to for information on how to make a change of address. Civil surgeons must notify USCIS within fifteen days of the change.

Additional Information

The address reporting requirement should not be confused with renewal or replacement of lawful permanent resident cards (Form I-551) or replacement of other evidence of alien registration, such as the Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record; I-186, Nonresident Mexican Border Crossing Card; I-688, Temporary Resident Card; or, I-766, Employment Authorization Document.


All non-U.S. citizens (aliens) who are required to be registered are also required to keep the USCIS informed of their current address. This is particularly important when you have filed an application or petition for a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act and expect notification of a decision on that application. In addition, the USCIS may need to contact you to provide other issued documents or return original copies of evidence you submitted.

It is also mandatory for any alien who has been designated as a “special registrant” under 8 CFR § 264.1(f) to inform the USCIS whenever he or she has a change of address, employment or school. The special registrant rule is effective as of September 11, 2002. For information about special registration, go to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

Where Can I Find The Law?

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) is a law that governs immigration in the United States. For the part of the law concerning reporting of your address and for the penalties if you do not comply, please see INA § 265 and 266. The specific requirements for reporting your change of address are federal regulations found in 8 CFR Part 265 and 8 CFR § 264.1(f)(6)concern designated special registrants.

Penalties for Failure to Comply

A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, you (or parent or legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA § 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of your stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize your ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.

Immigration Attorney Los Angeles | Immigration Lawyer Los Angeles | US Immigration Law Firm | O-1 Visa To Green Card | Eb-5 Immigration