The O-1A nonimmigrant visa is an employment-based visa for the individual who possesses “extraordinary ability” in the sciences, education, business or athletics and can demonstrate sustained national or international acclaim in these fields.
The O-1A is NOT for persons with extraordinary ability in the arts or achievement in motion pictures or television. Those persons should apply for an O-1B visa.
“Extraordinary ability” must be extensively substantiated through awards, media attention and peer review, and evidence of these achievements must be documented.
These visas are issued for a period of one to three years. The USCIS will determine the amount of time necessary to complete the applicant’s work.
Are You Qualified for an O-1A Visa?
- Can you demonstrate extraordinary ability and are you coming to the U.S. to continue work in that ability?
- Are you considered one of a small percentage that has risen to the top of your field?
- Have you achieved national or international acclaim?
- Have you won an internationally recognized award of distinction in your field?
What is Required to Apply?
- A petition form must be filed with the USCIS office no more than one year from the time the applicant’s services will be needed.
- A written advisory opinion from a peer group (or individual) within the applicants field of expertise.
- A copy of any contract between the applicant and their perspective employer. If no contract exists, a summary of the elements of an oral agreement may be accepted.
- An itinerary of all events, activities and employment dates that the applicant will be participating in.
- Evidence that the applicant has received a major, internationally recognized award (such as a Nobel Prize) or at least three of the following:
- Receipt of nationally or internationally recognized awards in your field;
- Membership in associations of distinction;
- Published material in major media outlets or professional journals;
- Original writings of major significance in your field;
- A high salary or other remuneration for services;
- Participation on a panel (or individually) as a judge of the work of others in your field;
- Employment in an essential capacity for organizations with a distinguished reputation.
Call Raynor & Associates at 1-877-872-9666 or use our contact form for a free consultation about securing your O-1A visa. Our firm is particularly well known for helping global celebrities come to the United States for a medium- to long-term basis. Our offices are located in Los Angeles, but we can assist you no matter where you live in the world.