TD family of TN visa

If your goal is to relocate to the U.S. on a short-term or long-term basis, you have options. In many cases, qualifying children or other family members of a person who qualifies for a visa may also be eligible to receive legal status.

Similar to Parent of Special Immigrants, the TN visa is one example where this is possible.

If Your Family Member Qualifies for a TN Visa, You May Qualify for a TD Visa

The TN, also known as the NAFTA Professional visa, is a nonimmigrant visa that permits the holder, a citizen of Mexico or Canada, to work in the United States. Permanent residents are not eligible. The worker can qualify with a U.S.-based employer or one that is based elsewhere.

Thousands of people from both Canada and Mexico are able to establish long-term working relationships in the United States using these special visa categories. However, this is not the whole story. For their qualifying family members, there is also the TD.

The TD – “Trade Dependent” – visa allows the spouse or children (under age 21) of the qualified TN holder to relocate to the United States. While holding this visa, recipients may attend school. However, they are not permitted to be employed within the United States.

What to Know About Getting and Maintaining Visa Status

Canadian citizens do not generally need to explicitly apply for the TN, as their status is assumed. To ensure that family members qualify for the TD, however, they must formally apply. Mexican citizens must do so under all circumstances.

The process consists of an interview with a consular officer followed by the execution of Form DS-160 online. Form DS-160 includes information such as the position filled, length of stay, the worker’s educational qualifications and the pay arrangements.

Once the TN has been issued successfully, the TD process begins. Canadian citizens receive TD-1 visas, while Mexican citizens receive TD-2 visas, although these two are essentially identical. The TD applicant must provide proof of the TN holder’s visa status.

Get Los Angeles Immigration Help from the Experts at Raynor & Associates

If you’re searching for a Los Angeles family visa expert, look no further than Raynor and Associates. Kate L. Raynor and her team have helped people from all over the world to achieve their immigration goals in the United States.

At Raynor and Associates, we offer exceptional service at the lowest prices. Free consultations are a matter of course, and we never require credit checks. We’ve worked with academics, military personnel and celebrities worldwide.

To find out more, contact us today.

Immigration Attorney Los Angeles | Immigration Lawyer Los Angeles | US Immigration Law Firm | O-1 Visa To Green Card | Eb-5 Immigration