Visitor Visa

How long does a U.S. tourist visa take to get? It depends.

If you are interested in how to get a tourist visa, Kate L. Raynor and Associates can help. A tourist visa grants an opportunity to visit the United States for a short time, enjoying its sights and diverse cultural achievements.

A U.S. visitor visa is also known as a B-2 visa. A visitor visa or U.S. tourist visa is necessary for foreign nationals who wish to visit the U.S. temporarily for pleasure. Because of its limited duration and wide applicability, it is one of the easiest visas to qualify for.

Understanding the B-2 Visa

A B-2 visa is a temporary, nonimmigrant visa used primarily for pleasure or to attain brief medical treatment in the United States. Those who obtain this kind of visa are not allowed to work or to study in the country. Some short-term, non-credit study may be permissible.

Unlike many other visa types, holders of a B-2 visa cannot apply for a specialized dependent visa for minor children or a spouse. Each individual in the family is issued a tourist visa regardless of age. However, this traditionally does not lengthen the B-2 process very much.

How Can You Use the B-2 Visa?

The B-2 visa may be used for:

  • Tourism – that is, a vacation or holiday;
  • A brief visit with friends or relatives;
  • Short-term medical treatment or surgery;
  • Participation in social events or conventions;
  • Amateur (unpaid) participation in sports, the arts or similar events;
  • Enrollment in a short, recreational course of study without college credit.

How to Apply for the B-2 Visa

Appointment times and processing delays vary considerably from one U.S. consulate to another. In general, a prospective visa holder may apply using the online visa application process. This encompasses Form DS-160. During the online process, you must also submit a photo.

Applicants aged 14-79 must schedule and attend an interview with U.S. consular officials in their country of origin. Applicants aged younger than 14 or older than 79 are usually not required to sit for an interview. Interviews may sometimes be waived for extensions.

Applicants should visit the U.S. State Department to get accurate and recent information on expected processing times within the country where they intend to apply for the visa.

The Law Offices of Kate L. Raynor and Associates stands among the leading Los Angeles U.S. immigration law firms. We help individuals and families from a range of backgrounds to achieve their immigration goals with affordable and convenient services.

To learn more, contact us today.

Immigration Attorney Los Angeles | Immigration Lawyer Los Angeles | US Immigration Law Firm | O-1 Visa To Green Card | Eb-5 Immigration