O-3 Family of O-1/2 visa

The O3 dependent visa is suitable for the spouse and unmarried  children (under  21 years of age) of O1 and O2 visa holders, who desire to accompany or to visit  the principal “O” visa holder. An O3 status holder can stay in the United States  as long as the principal visa holder remains in legal status. To be precise, the  O3 holders lose their status once the principal applicant loses O status. An O3  visa holder is also authorized to change his/her status in the USA.

O-2 visa allows persons who accompany an O- visa holder in a specific  athletic/artistic event or in the film industry to enter into the U.S. But, this  visa is not available for people who accompany O1 visa holders in education or  science. The permitted initial stay of an O3 status holder is 3 years. The dependents are  also allowed to extend their stay in the U.S. The visa holders must file a  petition on the Form I-539 for their extension of stay. The extension is  normally given in yearly increments.

O-3 Visa benefits

  • O3 visa holder can stay in the United States with his/her family.
  • An individual can engage in full time or part time study on O-3 visa.
  • O3 status holder can enter the country with his/her spouse or join him/her    later.
  • They can travel in and out of the country (on short trips). The Department    of State does not force any limit on the number of times the O3 holder may    travel in and out of the U.S.

For changing the purpose of an individual’s visit while he is in the country on  an O-3 visa, he has to change his visa status. The O-3 visa holders can change  status to other non-immigrant (temporary) status for which he or she is  qualified. Also, the O-3 dependents of an O1 foreign national can apply for Adjustment of Status to become the lawful permanent residents. Similar to any alien, they can  obtain Green Card either through entry into the U.S. on an  immigrant visa  granted by a U.S. consulate overseas or by adjustment of status in the U.S  through the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Employment on O-3 dependent visa: Individuals holding O-3 visa are not allowed to work in the U.S. If they wish to  earn income in the country, they must obtain a US work visa – a temporary  approval to live and work in the U.S.

Immigration Attorney Los Angeles | Immigration Lawyer Los Angeles | US Immigration Law Firm | O-1 Visa To Green Card | Eb-5 Immigration